Based on the National Gallery of Art’s popular Art Around the Corner professional development program for teachers in Washington, D.C., this five-unit online course provides everything you need to begin creating a culture of critical thinking and collaboration for any classroom, subject, or level. You do not need an art background or museum access to successfully integrate the course materials into your teaching. Your willingness to experiment with new teaching practices is all that is required.
The strategies presented in this course are adapted from Artful Thinking pedagogy, developed by Project Zero at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. You will explore three thinking dispositions, using eight thinking routines that are easy to understand and implement with STEAM curricular content. Throughout, you will discover the power of art to develop your students’ inclination, motivation, and ability to think deeply.
When you enroll, all the resources you need for your classroom to strengthen critical thinking by using art will be immediately available. We recommend spending a few hours learning and practicing each section before progressing to the next.
What you will learn
- How to use Artful Thinking Routines to strengthen thinking.
- How to facilitate meaningful conversations in your classroom using art for artful learning and artful teaching.
- How to help learners of all levels develop more discerning descriptions, evidence-based reasoning, and meaningful questioning habits.
- Key strategies for using content information to push original thinking deeper.
- Exciting, immersive activities for any type of classroom.
- How to use online teaching resources from the National Gallery of Art, including downloadable Artful Thinking lesson plans
- Unit 1 : Divising into Thinking Routines (3-4 hours)
- Unit 2 : Observing and Describing (3-4 hours)
- Unit 3 : Reasoning with Evidence (3-4 hours)
- Unit 4 : Questioning and Investigating (3-4 hours)
To enroll, click here
Photo by Zalfa Imani on Unsplash
Learn more about this
See more trainings from this institution